Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Getting my geek on

I am so lonely at work. I am the IT Director for a Research facility that focuses on HIV and childhood diseases. Due to the lack of funding for grants, we have shut down labs and researchers have either moved on or out of the field. I love what I do. I get to work with all the cool programs that sequence DNA, watch cutting edge ideas for development of new vaccines as well as solve network problems and come up with cost effective creative solutions. I really love my job, BUT...there is NO ONE here who understands what I do!

So, last night, hubby got home from his new job (he is in IT as well) and I literally bombarded him with questions about his day because I am so starved for tech talk. He is now working with a team and I am so jealous. He told me about his day until he finally said he was tired of talking about it. He is right, I am not bored but lonely because I have no one to talk to when I use a sniffer to track down a rogue access point, catch a hacker poking at my firewall, change a disk in the cluster without downtime or come up with a really cool work around for my scientists. Yes, they are my scientists and I love working with them.

Poor hubby - got my geek on him last night till he said "ENOUGH!!!"

Gotta run and figure out why our video conference system is misbehaving - I will hug my imaginary horse before I go though :).

I love my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment