Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mini alert

Haven't blogged lately - life has been getting in the way. My mother had a COPD flare up but is recovering from it. While she lives 20 to 30 minutes from me, it is extremely difficult for me to get there in the mornings and evenings when she needs my help. I am currently working to see if I can get her moved closer to me. My father's last year, I had him two doors down from me and it made taking care of him so much easier. I am thankful I was able to give him that so he was not in a nursing home. I know God will see me through this.

It is also finals time for my son. He is smart and trying to convince him he actually needs to study more than a day in advance has been a struggle. While I am glad that he is able to go on brain power alone, I fear that not developing the study habits now will come back to bite him in the...you know what....later.

I have a major situation going on at work and is sucking the energy out of me. Trying to remain professional when those around you are stabbing you in the back is very difficult. I keep on thinking of one of my favorite quotes:

"Sir! We're surrounded!"
"Excellent! Now we can fire in all directions!"

In the middle of all of this, Sunday night I noticed that Mini was sitting in an odd position on some clothes. I called my husband because I felt like something was wrong. He picked her up (she didn't complain) and put her on the bed and she sat there lethargically. I looked at her eyes and they were half open and she was obviously miserable. I asked my husband to pick her up and hold her and again, she didn't complain and let him cuddle her. We knew something was terribly wrong then. I had to tell my son he needed to continue studying (he had 2 finals the next day) and we rushed to the emergency vet at 8:00 pm.

They were able to see her quickly and figure out she was extremely dehydrated. Pulled blood for all kinds of blood work and asked if we would let them keep her so they could put in an IV and rehydrate her (cha-ching). Additional tests would be a urinalysis, FIV and a bunch of other tests. Everything came back normal considering she was dehydrated (glucose and globulin were slightly elevated but that is "normal" in a stressed, dehydrated cat). She stayed the night to get her fluids.

The next morning, my husband went to get her and bring her to our regular vet. She was a little cantankerous, which for her is an improvement. The vet continued to rehydrate her and when he tried examine her, she was a hellion (a vast improvement). I went to pick her up after work and could hear her screaming through the walls when they were trying to put her in her carrier (my heart flew with happiness).

We got her home and comfortable and are now watching her. When I got up this morning, I raced to make sure she was OK - whaaaaaat mom? I was sleeeeeeeping!!! She is still lethargic but looks much better. I hope she is just tired after her 24 hour ordeal, after all she is 10.

We don't know what caused this but the next few days are important. How do you get a cat to drink when they don't want to? She is eating a little - we are bringing it to her but the water thing concerns me. I was just happy to have a good love session with her this morning and even got a very strong purr.

I will be on pins and needles until I get home tonight to check on her. And if Princess Ashley Pants (her newest nick name) walks up to her, sniffs her and hisses one more time, she may go for a 24 hour vet visit!

Picture Update: What, you want that paper?

1 comment:

  1. Hope kitty is on the mend, sounds like lots going on for you.Nice you were able to be such help to your dad, and hope it works the same for your mom. raising parents is hard work! .LOVE your quote

    ReplyDelete